The Stabler Department of Nursing prepares students for rewarding and successful careers in nursing. York College nurses are known for their self-discipline, discretion, integrity, tolerance and flexibility. This academically rigorous baccalaureate program requires motivation and a strong commitment to learning.
We offer programs suited to first-time college students as well as registered nurses who wish to obtain baccalaureate education. Our baccalaureate program in Nursing is approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing and accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Please see the Nursing Department page of the College website or contact the Department office for details about entrance and degree requirements, as well as the Nursing Student Handbook. The Nursing Student Handbook is prepared for all baccalaureate nursing students at York College of Pennsylvania annually. It is intended to serve as a guide to established policies and practices of the Stabler Department of Nursing and should be used in conjunction with the College Catalog and the College Student Handbook. Nursing students are required to be aware of, and accept responsibility for, the information and policies contained therein.
The Mission of The Stabler Department of Nursing:
- We are committed to providing high-quality baccalaureate degree academic programs that build on a foundation of general education. The general education is used to facilitate the development of a broadly educated citizen, to support the nursing major and is integrated throughout the program.
- We are committed to a teaching-learning environment characterized by individual attention to students and their learning needs. Classroom and clinical experiences are provided to assist students to utilize critical thinking and communication skills in the application of theory to their professional and personal endeavors.
- Resources are selected to provide a variety of modes for the student to pursue both guided and independent learning. These include, but are not limited to, group and individual practice in the skills lab, access to audiovisual materials and activities in the Simulation Labs, and supervised practice with patients in selected clinical sites.
- We are committed to providing educational opportunities for traditional-aged, adult, full-time, and part-time students.
- We are supportive of the College’s commitment to acquiring a diverse student body and provide learning experiences which promote cultural awareness.
- We are attentive to community-expressed needs by preparing practitioners who are equipped to practice in a changing health care scene.
- We are committed to providing an environment that promotes academic honesty, personal integrity, and the ability to engage in ethical decision making.
- We strive to create a climate that puts emphasis on learning as a lifelong endeavor.
Individuals who have majored in Nursing and who are candidates for the Bachelor of Science degree from York College of Pennsylvania will demonstrate the ability to do the following:
- Use knowledge from the arts, sciences, humanities, and the discipline of nursing in nursing practice to assist individuals and groups from diverse populations to adapt to changing health states throughout the life span.
- Provide safe holistic nursing interventions to individuals and groups in a therapeutic manner that acknowledges and accommodates diversity.
- Facilitate learning for individuals and groups about health and activities that support a healthy environment.
- Use leadership skills and ethical principles to foster and advocate for the provision of high-quality nursing services to individuals and groups.
- Utilize critical thinking skills to implement the nursing process in a caring and professional manner.
- Incorporate research and evidence-based findings to advance clinical excellence in nursing practice.
- Communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate use of technology and nursing informatics.
- Utilize resources and strategies that support lifelong learning and professional growth.