Jul 21, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Records and Registration

Matriculation & Residency Information:

Registration Information:

Individualized Study Options:

Additional College Credit Options:

Academic Records:

Matriculation Policy

A student is matriculated when the student 1) applies to the College, 2) is admitted as a student into a degree program, and 3) enrolls in one or more courses. A student’s degree requirements will be determined by the date of admission to the College.

As a student works toward completing his or her degree requirements, he or she is permitted to miss one semester of attendance without losing matriculation status. If a student misses a second consecutive semester, he or she loses matriculation status and must then submit a readmission application with the Admissions Office and be formally readmitted to the College.  If the first date of matriculation was prior to fall 2015, all students who readmit to the College beginning fall 2015 through summer 2018 will follow the General Education requirements and major requirements as listed in the 2014 -2015 College catalog.  All students readmitting as of fall 2018 and after will follow the new Generation Next requirements and major requirements as listed in the college catalog upon readmission to the institution no matter when the student first matriculated to the college.

Students who matriculate prior to the fall 2015 semester must follow the General Education requirements as listed in the catalog prior to fall 2015. If these students change their major after fall 2015, they must follow the General Education and major requirements as listed in the 2014 -2015 College catalog. They do NOT have the option to choose the new Generation Next requirements with associated major requirements. (See Declaring or Changing a Major ).

Part time non matriculated students are students who have not been admitted to York College and have been out of high school for more than 2 years.  All non matriculated students must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 after completing 15 credit hours of coursework at YCP in order to be eligible for continued enrollment in courses. All qualified non matriculated students must matriculate prior to completing 24 credit hours of course work. All students must achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.0 to be eligible for matriculation. Some majors may require a higher grade point average. There are many benefits to matriculation, including eligibility to apply for financial aid and the assignment of a faculty advisor from the student’s curriculum.

All students must have matriculated no later than the semester prior to the one in which they plan to graduate. Those students who wish to matriculate should complete the on line York College Application for Admissions (www.ycp.edu/admissions).

Final 30 Credit Residency Requirement

The College Residency Requirement policy requires that the final 30 credit hours of a student’s degree requirements be completed as coursework at York College. Because a student should take most of his or her upper-division courses in the major during this time, it is important that these advanced credit hours be completed at the College. Therefore, no transfer credits or CLEP examinations are accepted in the final 30 credit hours of a student’s coursework.

Course Registration

Each semester, the Schedule of Classes is posted on the homepage (www.ycp.edu) along with a Student Scheduling Timetable well in advance of the actual registration and advising period. Current students register themselves using the YCPWeb on line system.  Students who schedule classes and pay their tuition bills prior to the Business Office’s payment deadline will be officially registered on the class rosters.

Both transfer and readmitted students are strongly encouraged to meet with the Associate Registrar for Transfer Articulation to assist with the registration process.  New students will be invited to attend a Summer Orientation Program which allows them to register for their fall classes in consultation with an academic advisor.

All newly matriculated students at York College have an “Advisor Hold” placed on their account for their first two semesters of enrollment. This hold prohibits registration for classes until it is released by the academic advisor. The hold is released after the student meets with their advisor to discuss coursework, schedule, and academic progress.

Visiting students who are attending or have been admitted to another institution must provide verification of acceptance or good standing before registering for classes. The Registrar reserves the right to contact the indicated institution to verify enrollment or acceptance.

Course Placement Policies

Course placement procedures are utilized in writing, mathematics, foreign language, music, and other disciplines to ensure that students have a positive and appropriate learning experience. Initial placement in such courses may be based on high school records, SAT/ACT scores, or college-administered test results. Students who believe that they have been incorrectly placed based on these measures should contact the Department Chair to discuss their concerns. Students whose proficiency in foreign language, music, etc., qualifies them for placement at advanced levels of study may not receive credit for courses below the level in which they have been placed.

Foreign Language Placement Process

If you have studied any French, German or Spanish with a grade of C or better; speak any of those languages at home; or learned one of those languages during a study abroad experience; it is important that you take a Foreign Language Placement Exam to ensure that you are placed at the course level giving you the greatest chance of success.  Please take the exam as soon as possible even if you do not have immediate plans to enroll in a French, German or Spanish course.

The testing process takes 20 minutes on average but can run shorter or longer.  The exam should be taken in one sitting, so please set aside a block of 30 minutes for its completion.  For your own benefit, you should not consult materials or other people to help with the exam.  You want to make sure you are placed in the course that best matches your needs and abilities.

You will receive a score and the corresponding language course level placement as soon as you complete the exam.  Your score will also be sent to the Registrar’s Office, your academic advisor and the faculty teaching the language in which you took the exam.  This will be your language level regardless of when you take the language at York College.  Therefore, it is to your advantage to enroll in language courses before too much time has gone by to keep your knowledge fresh.

Please contact Dr. Mary Boldt at mboldt@ycp.edu for access and instructions to the on line placement exam or if you have any questions, not only about the exam but about foreign language study.

Math Placement Process

York College offers a variety of mathematics courses that are tailored to best prepare you for the quantitative activities you will undertake in your major. The mathematics placement test is designed to help determine, based on your major, the initial mathematics course for which you are best prepared. See the Program of Study section of the catalog for the required math course for your major. You will receive instructions in the mail about how, where and when to access the actual test.

The testing process takes one hour. The exam has two parts, each part is 30 minutes long. If you believe that you could earn a higher score, you make retake either part and the system will record your highest score. You will receive a score and the corresponding mathematics placement, based on your major, for which you are best prepared.

Please contact Dr. David Kaplan at dakplan@ycp.edu for access and instructions to the on line placement exam or if you have any questions, not only about the exam but about mathematics at York College.

Credit Load

Full time students must register for 12 or more credits per semester (fall and/or spring). Part-time students may register for a maximum of 11.5 credits per semester. Full time students will need to carry an average credit load of 15 to 16 credit hours per semester (for most majors) to stay on track for graduation. Students with a 3.0 cumulative GPA may register for up to 21 credit hours per semester upon payment of the appropriate additional fees.

Anyone registered for more than 18 credits as of the last day of DROP/ADD will be billed for those additional credits whether or not the student drops below 18.5 credits at a future time during the semester. Withdrawal from a course will have no bearing on the student’s financial obligation to the College.

Drop/Add Procedure

A student may drop and/or add a course on line anytime during the first week of classes each fall and spring semester. Checking with the academic advisor about a course schedule change is advisable, as is checking course availability through the Registrar’s Office or the on line Schedule of Classes. The procedure for dropping or adding a class in person involves completion of a Records and Registrar’s Office Change form and submission of this form to the Registrar’s Office. A course dropped during the first week of class will not show on the official transcript. No extensions are granted beyond the Drop/Add deadline. (See below for Course Withdrawal.)

Summer Sessions

Both undergraduate and graduate classes are offered during the summer sessions as follows:

Mini-mester – 3 weeks starting mid-May to early June
Summer I – 5 weeks in early June to early July
Summer II – 5 weeks in mid-July to mid-August
Special Session – 13 weeks starting in mid-May through mid-August

Summer session dates and deadlines can be found on the York College website. Students may enroll in up to four credits during the Mini-mester and up to a maximum of seven credits during Summer I or Summer II. Regular college services are available to summer students such as parking, library services, on-campus housing, advising and use of the Grumbacher Center facilities.

Independent Study

An Independent Study is a well-defined individual research project supervised by a faculty member and completed without formal class meetings.  These studies provide students with the opportunity to gain experience doing research, to work closely with a faculty mentor on a project within their discipline, and to gain academic credit for their work. Since such projects involve less formal teaching than regular courses, effective Independent Study experiences require an increase in student responsibility and initiative in both research and the learning process.  The Independent Study guidelines are as follows:

  • Only matriculated students at York College will qualify for an Independent Study.
  • Students must have successfully completed a minimum of 60 or more credits at time of application.
  • Students must have a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative grade point average at time of application.
  • The application must be approved by the academic Department Chair by the last day of DROP/ADD during the semester of study.  No extensions will be granted.
  • All tuition and fees must be paid accordingly to published deadlines by the Business Office.

The Independent Study application form – available in the academic department, Academic Advising Office, and Registrar’s Office – should be initially completed by the student. The application must include a comprehensive summary describing the nature, objectives, and evaluation format of the study. The approved completed forms must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office to be entered on the student’s schedule. The Independent Study must be completed during the fall semester, spring semester or Special Session during the summer.


An internship is an educational experience that offers students the opportunity to earn academic credit for experiential learning outside the classroom. Internships are designed to enhance a student’s professional preparation and career opportunities and are available to eligible York College students. To earn academic credit, the internship must be completed at an approved site where the on-site supervisor has agreed to provide the intern with structured learning experiences that will assist them in achieving specific learning objectives. In addition, the student must complete an Internship Application, including detailed learning objectives for the course, and receive the approval of the department sponsoring the internship and from the College Internship Coordinator prior to beginning the on-site experience.  The Internship guidelines are as follows:

  • Only matriculated students at York College will qualify for an Internship.
  • Students must have successfully completed a minimum of 60 or more credits at time of application.
  • Students must have a minimum of 2.5 cumulative grade point average at time of application.
  • The application must be approved by the Associate Director of Career Development by the last day of DROP/ADD during the semester of study.  No extensions will be granted.
  • All tuition and fees must be paid accordingly to published deadlines by the Business Office.

Internship application forms are available in the Career Development Center, Registrar’s Office or academic department offices.  Please review the checklist, guidelines and procedures well in advance of applying for the actual internship. A minimum of 120 hours on site is required to earn three internship credits; students are limited to participation in two different internships for a maximum of six credit hours of Internship in a baccalaureate program.


Regular York College courses may be offered to matriculated students on a tutorial basis when a student needs a specific course for a declared major or minor in order to graduate, and the course is not being offered in the regular course schedule.  A tutorial can only be offered if there is a faculty member available to teach the tutorial.  Each tutorial course must be completed within the time frame of one semester or summer session.  All charges must be paid prior to starting the course.  Please note that tutorials may not be taken for courses that have already been completed. In other words, you can not repeat a course with a Tutorial.

Tutorial application forms are available in the Registrar’s Office and Academic Advising Center.  The student will need to obtain approvals from the instructor, the Department Chair, the Business Office and the Academic Advising Center by the last day of DROP/ADD during the semester of study.  No extensions will be granted.

Advanced Placement (AP)

College credit may be granted to entering students who perform satisfactorily on the College Board Advanced Placement Examinations. The following regulations apply:

  1. College credit will be granted to entering freshmen who earn scores of 3, 4, or 5 on the individual subject tests of the College Board Advanced Placement Examinations.
  2. A course for which advanced placement credit has been granted will be noted on the official transcript.
  3. The maximum number of credits that any one person may earn by advanced placement, CLEP and/or credit by examination is 60 for the baccalaureate degree and 30 for the associate’s degree.
  4. Students cannot receive AP credit and York College credit for the same course. If a student decides to retake a course for which AP credit is granted, the AP credit will be removed from the official transcript.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Credit will be granted on CLEP examinations on the basis of the York College of Pennsylvania CLEP Equivalency report available at the Registrar’s Office. To obtain credit the student must score above 50 in each test and meet any other requirements specified on the Equivalency report or by the College. The following regulations apply:

  1. CLEP examinations may not be scheduled within the final 30-credit residency period.
  2. A course for which CLEP credit has been granted will be noted on the official transcript.
  3. The maximum number of credits that any one person may earn by advanced placement, CLEP and/or credit by examination is 60 for the baccalaureate degree and 30 for the associate’s degree.
  4. Students may not receive CLEP credit for a course that has already been taken at York College.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

The Diploma Program for students is a comprehensive and challenging pre-university course of study, leading to examinations that demand the best from motivated students and teachers.  It is widely recognized for its high academic standards. York College recognizes the quality of the International Baccalaureate Diploma and awards one course credit in each subject area for higher level examination scores of five or higher.

Life Experience Credit

Students wanting to pursue academic credit for previous life experiences must present a portfolio of experiences in writing to the Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs Office.  The portfolio will then be forwarded to the appropriate department(s) for review and evaluation.  A determination will be made as to whether the life experiences are equivalent to any active York College courses.

Credit by Examination (CBE)

Students may earn course credit by successfully completing an examination that tests mastery of the learning outcomes of a given course. The Credit By Examination guidelines are as follows:

  • Only matriculated students at York College can take a Credit By Examination.
  • The exam may not be used to improve a grade in a course previously completed.  Students can not repeat a course by taking a Credit By Examination.
  • A student may not challenge any course required for graduation during the last semester of attendance.
  • A minimum grade of 2.0 is required in order for the student to receive credit and quality points on the official transcript.
  • The maximum number of credits which any student may earn by Credit By Examination is 30.

Application for examination should be made in writing to the appropriate Department Chair on forms available in the Registrar’s Office and Academic Advising Office.  If the Department Chair approves the application, the Chair will designate the appropriate instructor who will prepare, administer and evaluate the examination that is not normally less than three hours in length.  Final approval is needed by the Director of Academic Advising. The student will need to pay the non refundable examination fee to the Business Office before taking the examination.

Off Campus Study Approval

Students desiring to pursue summer course work or additional work at another accredited institution must secure written approval from their academic advisor and the Registrar’s Office prior to beginning the work in order for the credits to transfer into York College. Off-Campus Study Approval forms to obtain such permission are available in the Registrar’s Office or on line.

In order to receive transfer credit from courses at other accredited institutions, a student must receive a grade of “C” (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better. Credit hours for these courses may be transferred, but grades and quality points will not transfer; however, transfer credits will be included in the calculation of graduation honors. Students may not repeat a course off-campus that has already been taken at York College. Students are reminded that they must complete the last 30 credit hours of their program of study as coursework at York College. In general, if a student wishes to take courses at another institution, it is wise to work closely with an advisor and register for lower-division courses since most majors require students to take their upper-division courses in their major as coursework at York College.

Transfer Policies

York College reviews courses for transfer credit for all modes of delivery from all regionally accredited institutions.

Students who transfer in 30 credits or more at the time of admission to the college will be waived from the First Year Seminar requirement.

Students who transfer in 60 credits or more at the time of admission to the college will be waived from the Constellation requirement.

Transfer students admitted beginning Fall 2015 will follow the new general education requirements titled Generation Next.  Further details are found in the Generation Next portion of the catalog.

In accordance with AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrar and Admissions Officers) guidelines, transfer credits will be awarded as they are comparable and appropriate to the academic programs and general education requirements of York College.  Credits may vary in how they are applied to satisfy degree requirements. 

A maximum of 75 credits will be accepted from two-year colleges.  Transfer students admitted to the college with an associate’s degree must satisfy all York College general education requirements not completed as transfer credit. Students must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours in residence at York College to be eligible for a degree. 

York College awards credit but not quality points for transfer work.  Transfer grades are not computed into the cumulative grade point average except in the calculation of graduation honors.  

Courses transferring as electives (1XX, 2XX, 3XX, 4XX) may transfer as specific courses. Please see the appropriate academic department for further information if you believe that these elective courses are equivalent to a York College course. 

The following courses will not transfer:

  •    Grades of “D”, “F”, “W”, “Inc”, “Au” or “In Progress”
  •    Continuing education units (CEU’s)
  •    Technical courses such as agriculture, electronics, drafting, dental hygiene, paralegal, EMT, etc
  •    Remedial courses typically numbered from 000 to 099 and include English, math, reading and study skills courses

If the Advanced Placement and/or CLEP credits are listed on another college’s transcript for credit, we require an official copy of the score reports for York College to evaluate. 

The World Education Services must evaluate credentials from all foreign universities.  Forms are available at www.wes.org

Credit Validation from Non Regionally Accredited Institutions

Upon admission to York College, applicants from non-regionally accredited and non-candidate institutions may request a review of their transcript for credit validation purposes. Standardized external testing using the Collegiate Level Examination Program (CLEP) will be used whenever possible to validate credit. Internal credit evaluation will be arranged through the York College Credit by Examination Program (CBE) for those courses or educational experiences that cannot be validated through CLEP examinations.

Student Records

The Records Office maintains student academic records, processes withdrawal from class requests, transcript requests, enrollment verifications, graduation applications, degree verifications and other items related to student academic records.

Students should consult the Records Office on matters relating to their academic records and when requesting transcripts. Official transcripts are sent by request when the student has met all financial obligations at York College and has presented written consent to the Records Office. There is a $5 processing fee per official transcript. Matriculated students can print an unofficial transcript through the YCPWeb.

Requests for verification of enrollment such as insurance verifications and student loan deferment forms should be submitted to the Records Office for completion and certification.  If a specific form is not provided, a standard enrollment verification letter will be issued.

Course Withdrawal

The last day to withdraw from a course during the fall and spring semesters is the ninth Friday of the academic semester in order to avoid a grade penalty. To withdraw from a course, the student must complete a Records and Registrar’s Office Change form in the Records Office. Students may not withdraw from a course on the YCPWeb. Failure to attend class or merely giving notice to the course instructor is not considered an official withdrawal. No extensions are granted beyond the withdrawal deadline. Course withdrawal will appear on the permanent transcript as “W.” (See Drop/Add above.)

Withdrawal from the College (during the semester)

If a full-time student must withdraw from the College, he or she must contact the office of the Dean of Student Affairs to complete a withdrawal from all courses. As part of this official withdrawal from the College the student will receive a “W” for all registered classes for the semester. When a student ceases attending classes without completing the formal withdrawal process they will receive a “0” grade in all registered courses and the student remains responsible for all financial obligations. A student who withdraws after the ‘refund period’, or is suspended or expelled, receives no refund. Students who withdraw from the College, but plan to return must apply for readmission through the Admissions Office. In some academic programs, withdrawal might delay a student’s progression toward completing the degree.

Withdrawals related to health issues or special circumstances shall be evaluated by the Office of Student Affairs and Student Life Committee.  This situation requires a special appeal process which includes the student providing official documentation about the situation and initiating the process before the last day of classes of that semester.

Part-time students should contact the Records Office if withdrawing completely from the College. Part-time students should note that withdrawal during or after the first class meeting will not eliminate the obligation to pay any remaining balance. (See Financial Information   section for refund policy.)

Withdrawal from the College (between semesters)

Full-time and Part-time students who plan to leave the College after the semester is over must contact the Associate Director of Academic Advising to complete the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence process.  A Withdrawal from the College is processed when the student intends to be away from the College for more than one semester or intends to not return to the College.  A Leave of Absence from the College is processed when the student plans to be away from the College for only one semester.  Students who withdraw from the College but plan to return must apply for readmission through the Admissions Office. The student remains responsible for all financial obligations.  In some academic programs, withdrawing or taking a leave of absence will affect a student’s status as maintaining regular progression toward the major.


A student expecting to graduate from York College must complete an Application for Graduation during the final semester on campus. The student must complete the form in the Records Office and pay a graduation fee at the Business Office by September 15 for December graduation, February 5 for May graduation, or by July 15 for August graduation. Every student who intends to graduate MUST complete the application and pay the graduation fee whether or not he/she wishes to participate in the commencement ceremony. Commencement ceremonies are held twice a year in May and December. Graduation regalia are purchased directly from the College Bookstore.

A student may receive only one degree in a given semester no matter how many majors they have successfully completed. In addition, a student may not receive an associate degree and a baccalaureate degree in the same semester. Also, a student may receive one associate degree and one baccalaureate degree in that order from York College. (See Programs of Study  section.)

To earn a degree awarded in May, a student may complete the final degree requirement by enrolling in the mini-mester session for no more than one academic course and/or physical education course for a maximum of four credits. Students completing graduation requirements during any other summer sessions will receive their diploma in late August and are invited to participate in the May or December commencement ceremonies. Students graduating in May, August, or December are considered graduates of that calendar year.

Late application for graduation will result in an additional fee and a significant delay in the receipt of the diploma. It is imperative that application for a degree be made by the deadline published each semester.

Awarding of a Second Degree

A student awarded an associate or baccalaureate degree from another accredited college may pursue courses at York College leading toward a second degree (either associate or baccalaureate) provided the following conditions are met:

  1. The candidate has applied for and been accepted for admission to York College.
  2. The candidate must meet the departmental requirements established for the major as published in the College Catalog. The Department Chair will review the student’s academic record and indicate the additional courses that will be necessary to complete the degree requirements.
  3. The candidate must complete a minimum of the last 30 semester hours of the major at York College.

Awarding of an Additional Major

A student awarded a baccalaureate degree from York College of Pennsylvania may not receive a second degree from the College, but may elect to pursue courses leading toward a second baccalaureate-level major provided the following conditions are met:

  1. The student must submit an additional application for admission to the Admissions Office and formally matriculate in the new major.
  2. The candidate must meet the departmental requirements listed in the College Catalog. The Department Chair will review the student’s records and indicate any additional courses that will be required to complete the student’s major requirements.
  3. The student must complete the Application for Additional Major available in the Records Office at the beginning of the semester in which the major will be completed. The additional major note will be posted on the transcript at the same time as degree notes are posted. An additional diploma WILL NOT be issued.
  4. Students who complete a second major in a discipline associated with a new degree designation may request that the degree designation for their program be revised to reflect the second major. Thus, a student whose original York College degree was a B.A. may request that their degree designation be changed to a B.S. upon completion of a second major in a discipline for which the B.S. degree is granted, or vice versa.

Graduation Honors

Students are eligible for graduation honors based upon their entire academic college record (which includes the previous academic records of transfer students). Transfer students may be eligible for graduation honors after a minimum of 60 credit hours of academic work are completed at York College. Graduation honors will be awarded on the basis of the cumulative GPA of all York College and all previously completed college work. Graduation honors recognized by York College are:

  1. Summa Cum Laude: 3.90 or above
  2. Magna Cum Laude: 3.70–3.89
  3. Cum Laude: 3.50–3.69

Because the fall and spring Commencement ceremonies occur before all of a student’s final semester grades have been tabulated, graduation honors published at Commencement will be based on the student’s cumulative GPA prior to their final semester of coursework. However, the graduation honors noted on the student’s official transcript will be based on the student’s final cumulative GPA.


York College is proud to support veterans pursuing higher education and we participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. According to MilitaryFriendlySchools.com, York College is listed among “the top 20 percent of colleges, universities, and trade schools, which are doing the most to embrace America’s veterans as students.” The Records Office has a wealth of information concerning Veterans Education Benefits, the Military and Veterans Advocacy Committee, Campus Resources, etc. located on their home page.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)  (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches  the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are “eligible students.”

Eligible student have:

  • The right to inspect and review the studentʼs education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Director of Records written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The Director of Records will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the studentʼs education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the studentʼs education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including security personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

Notification of Student Records and College Matters

While federal law restricts the information we can share, we recognize the important role parents and families play in supporting their student’s education. Our mission is to encourage students to become careful, critical and independent thinkers and decision makers. And, like parents and families, we want to guide students toward good decisions. Ultimately, our primary relationship lies directly with the student, as they are responsible for their education, their choices, and for meeting their own graduation requirements.

So that we can be effective partners in guiding the student’s academic journey, York College encourages students to openly and candidly discuss their educational experiences with parents and families. Only with such open, honest dialog can parents and families fully support their student and help guide them to appropriate resources. While York College will not notify parents or legal guardians of student grades, academic actions, and financial matters or conduct violations, students are encouraged to disclose such issues in a timely manner. Students may opt to issue on-line proxy access to their educational and financial records.

Proxy Access to On-line Records

Students may enable access to important information pertaining to grades, eBills, etc., using the YCPWeb for Parents portal. Once enabled, the student’s designee may develop their own proxy account and thereby access information including warning grades and final grades and access the College’s eBill system for on-line deposit and tuition payments. The student must setup the account using the designee’s email address and a PIN.  The student determines and authorizes what information is available to view by the designee.

Directory Information

Directory information is distributed without prior consent of the student. Directory information is defined as a student’s name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, class year and degree, and awards received. However, students who do not wish such information to be released or made public may inform the Records Office.

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by York College of Pennsylvania to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, DC 20202-4605