The Sport Management program at York College of Pennsylvania is unique because of its comprehensive and interdisciplinary design. Students experience a comprehensive sport management curriculum reflective of the breadth of the profession, and also have the opportunity to gain specialized expertise through elective sequences from other academic disciplines that will help prepare them for positions in the various segments of the sport management industry. These elective sequences include: Accounting, Applied Youth Development, Athletic Coaching, Entrepreneurship, Hospitality Marketing, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, International Business, Legal Studies, Management, Marketing, Not-For-Profit Management, Operations Management, Professional Writing, Public Relations, Retailing, Speech Communication, and Student-Initiated Sequence.
A hallmark of the program is an emphasis on experiential learning. Students enter the major with a four-semester (freshman/sophomore), four-credit practicum experience, and end their academic journey with a nine-credit capstone work experience.
The sport management degree program at York College of Pennsylvania has received specialized accreditation through the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) located in Fort Collins, Colorado, USA. The sport management program in the following degree is accredited by COSMA:
- Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
Mission of the Sport Management Major
The mission of the York College of Pennsylvania Sport Management major is to provide students with a positive environment, rich in academic and practical experiences, oriented toward developing comprehensive professional and technical skills that are applicable to the diverse career opportunities in the sport management industry.
Sport Management Program Goals
- Demonstrate the ability to apply current knowledge and practices to generate revenue within the sport industry.
- Explain contemporary issues in sport management and craft best practice responses in an ethical manner.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of accounting, economics and finance to contribute to fiscally responsible sport organizations.
- Apply evidence based management practices to foster safe and productive sport organizations.
- Exhibit proficiency in the skills of communication and critical thinking within the context of the sport management discipline.
- Develop knowledge and skill in key career and professional development competencies for the sport management field.
Requirements for Graduation:
To be considered for graduation, students majoring in Sport Management must complete all program requirements including a minimum of 121 credits, earn an overall GPA of 2.0, and complete the General Education Requirements of the College. A minimum grade of 2.0 is required for First Year Seminar and all courses taken as part of Foundations. Courses used to complete General Education Requirements may not be taken on a pass/fail basis.
The General Education Requirements of the college require students to successfully complete a First Year Seminar, Foundations, Disciplinary Perspectives, and a Constellation. Students who enter the college with 30 credit hours completed will not take a First Year Seminar course and therefore must take an additional 3 credits for graduation. Transfer students that are awarded 60 or more credits upon acceptance to York College will not be required to complete a Constellation.
In addition, Sport Management majors must achieve a minimum grade of a 2.0 in all required courses in the major and the student’s chosen elective sequence.