Jul 22, 2017
The Psychology major at York College of Pennsylvania provides students with the necessary background to pursue a number of professional careers within and related to psychology. Core and Area Requirements have been designated to provide the integral background for further educational and professional growth. Electives, both with in and outside the psychology field, allow the student to concentrate on his or her individual career goals and needs.
The Psychology faculty are prepared to assist each student in preparing for his or her career and/or graduate school goals. It is important that each Psychology major meet with an advisor at least once per semester. A program advising guide is also available from advisors. Students who wish to declare Psychology as a major after the first semester of the freshman year must contact the Behavioral Science Department at (717) 815-1375 for further information.
Requirements for Graduation:
To be eligible for graduation, students majoring in Psychology must complete a minimum of 122 credits, achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.0, satisfy the College’s residency requirements, complete the General Education Requirements of the College and complete graduating outcome assessments. Courses used to complete General Education Requirements may not be taken on a pass/fail basis.
Requirements for Major in in Psychology
- To complete a major in Psychology, a minimum of 24 credit hours at YCP are required. This must include , , , and at least 9 additional credits of Psychology courses at the 300 level or higher.
- 100-level or 200-level transfer courses in Psychology cannot be used to satisfy 300 or 400 level Psychology course requirements. These courses will be transferred as free electives.
- , , , PSY 224 , , and do not satisfy Psychology major requirements and will be given credit as free electives for students who take the courses before declaring the psychology major.
- 12 free elective credits must be outside the major area of Psychology.
- Psychology majors who have a Special Education minor should take instead of .
- No more than two coures in the major may have a grade of 1.0.
Required Courses for Psychology Majors:
Psychology Core Requirements
Psychology Area Requirements
The following are the Psychology electives. These courses are designed to assist the students in meeting their career goals. A minimum of nine credit hours must be completed in Psychology electives. Students are to confer with their advisor concerning these courses. Please see the prerequisites for each course.
*Psychology majors who have Special Education minors should take PSY 365 instead of SPE 264 .
**A maximum of six credits is permitted for internship.
***A maximum of two credits is permitted for senior teaching practicum.
****A maximum of six credits is permitted for independent study in Psychology.
Psychology Major Suggested Course Sequence:
Freshman Year (31 credits)
Choose one of the following:
Sophomore Year (30-31 credits)
Junior Year (30-31 credits)
- PSY 370 Design and Analysis III 3 credit hours
- Psychology Area Requirements and/or Electives 9 credit hours
- Area Distribution Requirement 6 credit hours
- Free Electives 12-13 credit hours
- Physical Education 1 credit hour
Senior Year (30-32 credits)
- PSY 472 History and Systems of Psychology 3 credit hours (Fall semester)
- Psychology Seminar 3 credit hours (Spring semester)
- Psychology Elective 3 credit hours
- Free Electives 15-16 credit hours
- Area Distribution Requirement 3-4 credit hours
When selecting courses: Please consult the Psychology curriculum worksheet which was in effect when the Psychology major was declared, (these are available on the MyYCP Psychology community page or on the Registrar’s Office website), meet with your academic advisor, and review the advising guides.