Jun 08, 2023  
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog 
2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Records and Registration

Course Registration

A Schedule of Classes for each semester is provided on YCPWeb along with a rotation timetable for course registration. Matriculated students register through the YCPWeb for enrollment in the official records of the College.

Newly admitted students for the fall semester are invited to a New Student Day program in late spring. At this time, new students will meet with an academic advisor and receive an overview of their chosen major and College procedures. New students who attend the program will receive a schedule for their first semester by mail within a few weeks of the program. New students who are not able to attend the New Student Day program should contact the Registrar’s Office during the summer.

Students who schedule classes and pay their tuition bills prior to the Business Office’s payment deadline will be automatically registered for the semester and placed on instructors’ class rosters.

All newly matriculated students at York College have an “Advisor Hold” placed on their account for their first two semesters of enrollment. This hold prohibits registration for classes until it is released by the academic advisor. The hold is released after the student meets with their advisor to discuss coursework, schedule, and academic progress.

Registration Policy for Part-Time Non-Matriculated Students

Any individual who wishes to enroll in courses as a part-time, non-matriculated student and who attended high school two years or more preceding the initial proposed date of attendance at York College must have graduated from an approved secondary school or have earned a state equivalency diploma prior to enrollment at York College. Documentation for GED students must be attached to the course registration form. Individuals who have graduated from high school within two years preceding the initial proposed date of attendance at York College may enroll in courses only if they have been accepted into a degree program at York College or are in good standing at another accredited college or university. The Registrar reserves the right to contact the indicated institution to verify enrollment or acceptance.

Course Placement

Course placement procedures are utilized in writing, mathematics, foreign language, music, and other disciplines to ensure that students have a positive and appropriate learning experience. Initial placement in such courses may be based on high school records, SAT scores, or college-administered test results. Students who believe that they have been incorrectly placed based on these measures should contact the Department Chair to discuss their concerns.

Students whose proficiency in foreign language, music, etc., qualifies them for placement at advanced levels of study may not receive credit for courses below the level in which they have been placed.

Credit Load

While the regular full tuition permits a student to carry up to 18 credit hours each semester, most students will carry a 15-credit hour load plus physical education. Students with a 3.0 cumulative GPA may register for up to 21 credit hours per semester upon payment of the appropriate additional fees.

Anyone enrolled in more than 18 credits as of the last day to add a class will be billed for those additional credits whether or not the student drops below 19 credits at a future time during the semester. Withdrawal from a course will have no bearing on the student’s financial obligation to the College.

Part-time students may register for a maximum of 11.5 credits per semester. Full-time students must register for 12 or more credits per semester.

Advanced Placement and CLEP

Advanced placement and college credit may be granted to entering students who perform satisfactorily on the College Board Advanced Placement Examinations, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), American College Testing/PEP examination, or other proficiency tests that have been approved by the Dean of Academic Affairs and the Chair of the department. Similarly, a student who has matriculated and based on previous experience, training, and background believes that he or she has sufficient knowledge to pass a course by examination may, upon petition to the appropriate department chair, be given a suitable examination for the course desired.

The following regulations apply to students who earn credit and/or advanced standing:

  1. The Department Chair or the student may initiate procedures resulting in credit or advanced standing for a course.
  2. College credit will be granted to entering freshmen who earn scores of 3, 4, or 5 on the individual subject tests of the College Board Advanced Placement Examinations.
  3. Credit will be granted on CLEP examinations on the basis of the York College of Pennsylvania CLEP Equivalency report available at the Registrar’s Office. To obtain credit the student must score above 50 in each test and meet any other requirements specified on the Equivalency report or by the College.
  4. A course for which credit and/or advanced placement has been granted will be noted on the official transcript and will represent credit for, or a waiver of, a specific course, whichever is appropriate.
  5. The maximum number of credits that any one person may earn by advanced placement and/or credit by examination is 60 for the baccalaureate degree and 30 for the associate’s degree. CLEP examinations may not be scheduled within the final 30-credit residency period.
  6. The Department Chair and Dean of Academic Affairs will determine what is a satisfactory score on performance tests used by the College other than the College Board Advanced Placement Examinations, College Level Examination Program, and the American College Testing/PEP examinations.
  7. A student wishing to receive credit for previous life experiences must present a portfolio of experiences in writing to the Academic Dean’s Office. The portfolio will then be forwarded to the appropriate department(s) for review and evaluation.

Credit by Examination

Matriculated students may earn course credit by successfully completing an examination that tests mastery of the learning outcomes of a given course. Credit is awarded for successful completion of the examination.

  1. Examinations may be permitted at the discretion of the Department Chair.
  2. Application for examination should be made in writing to the appropriate Department Chair on forms available in the Registrar’s Office or Academic Advising Office.
  3. If the Department Chair approves the application, the Chair will designate the appropriate instructor who will prepare, administer, and evaluate the examination that is normally not less than three hours in length.
  4. A student should not use credit by examination to complete any course required for graduation during the last semester.
  5. Credit earned in a course taken by examination, 2 level (“C”) work or better, shall be recorded together with quality points on the permanent record.
  6. The maximum number of credits eligible to be earned by credit by examination is 30.
  7. Credit By Exam will not be approved in cases when the student has already completed the course.

Drop/Add Procedure

A student may drop and/or add a course on line anytime during the first week of classes each fall and spring semester. Checking with the academic advisor about a course schedule change is advisable, as is checking course availability through the Registrar’s Office or the online schedule of classes. The procedure for dropping or adding a class in person involves completion of a Records and Registrar’s Office Change form and submission of this form to the Registrar’s Office. A course dropped during the first week of class will not show on the permanent transcript. No extensions are granted beyond the Drop/Add deadline. (See below for Course Withdrawal.)

Course Withdrawal

The last day to withdraw from a course during the fall and spring semesters is the ninth Friday of the academic semester in order to avoid a grade penalty. To withdraw from a course, the student must complete a Records and Registrar’s Office Change form in the Records Office. Students may not withdraw from a course on the YCPWeb. Failure to attend class or merely giving notice to the course instructor is not considered an official withdrawal. No extensions are granted beyond the withdrawal deadline. Course withdrawal will appear on the permanent transcript as “W.” (See Drop/Add above.)

Withdrawal from the College

When circumstances indicate that a full-time student must withdraw from the College, he or she must contact the office of the Dean of Student Affairs for a complete withdrawal from all courses. A student who officially withdraws from the College receives grades of “W” on the transcript. A student who ceases attending classes without completing his or her formal withdrawal will receive a grade of “0” in all registered courses. In addition, the student remains responsible for all financial obligations. A student who withdraws before the end of the term or is suspended or expelled receives no refund. In some academic programs, withdrawal might affect a student’s status as maintaining regular progression toward the major.

Part-time students should contact the Records Office if withdrawing completely from the College. Part-time students should note that withdrawal during or after the first class meeting will not eliminate the obligation to pay any remaining balance. (See Financial Information  section for refund policy.)

Residency Requirement

The College Residency Requirement policy requires that the final 30 credit hours of a student’s degree requirements be completed as coursework at York College. Because a student should take most of his or her upper-division courses in the major during this time, it is important that these advanced credit hours be completed at the College. Therefore, no transfer credits or CLEP examinations are accepted in the final 30 credit hours of a student’s coursework.

Off Campus Study

Students desiring to pursue summer course work or additional work at another accredited institution must secure written approval from their academic advisor and the Registrar’s Office prior to beginning the work in order for the credits to transfer into York College. Off-Campus Study Approval forms to obtain such permission are available in the Registrar’s Office.

In order to receive transfer credit from courses at other accredited institutions, a student must receive a grade of “C” (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better. Credit hours for these courses may be transferred, but grades and quality points will not transfer; however, transfer credits will be included in the calculation of graduation honors. Students may not repeat a course off-campus that has already been taken at York College. Students are reminded that they must complete the last 30 credit hours of their program of study as coursework at York College. In general, if a student wishes to take courses at another institution, it is wise to register for lower-division courses since most majors require students to take their upper-division courses in their major as coursework at York College.

Independent Study

An Independent Study is a well-defined individual research project supervised by a faculty member and undertaken without formal instruction or meeting times. Such a study affords students an opportunity to conduct in-depth research on a special topic without regular class meetings or formal instruction. While an Independent Study project involves a reduction in formal teaching, effective Independent Study is characterized by an increase in student responsibility and initiative in both research and the learning process.

A student who wishes to apply for an Independent Study project must have completed a minimum of 60 credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher prior to application. An application form – available in the academic department, Academic Advising, and Registrar’s Office – should be completed by the student. The application must include a comprehensive summary describing the nature, objectives, and evaluation format of the study along with approval from the faculty supervisor and Department Chair. Completed forms should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office to be entered on the student’s schedule. The deadline for submitting such applications is the last day of the Drop/Add period.


An internship is an educational experience that offers students the opportunity to earn academic credit for experiential learning outside the classroom. Internships are designed to enhance a student’s professional preparation and career opportunities and are available to eligible York College students. To earn academic credit, the internship must be completed at an approved site where the on-site supervisor has agreed to provide the intern with structured learning experiences that will assist them in achieving specific learning objectives. In addition, the student must complete an Internship Application, including detailed learning objectives for the course, and receive the approval of the department sponsoring the internship and from the College Internship Coordinator prior to beginning the on-site experience.

An internship is available to matriculated students who have earned 60 or more credits and a 2.50 or higher cumulative grade point average at the time of application. A minimum of 120 hours on site is required to earn three internship credits; students are limited to participation in two different internships for a maximum of six credit hours of Internship in a baccalaureate program. Internship application forms, available in the Career Development Center or Department Chairs’ offices, must be completed by the last day of the Drop/Add period for the semester.


A student expecting to graduate from York College must complete an Application for Graduation during the final semester on campus. The student must complete the form in the Records Office and pay a graduation fee at the Business Office by September 15 for December graduation, February 5 for May graduation, or by July 15 for August graduation. Every student who intends to graduate MUST complete the application and pay the graduation fee whether or not he/she wishes to participate in the commencement ceremony. Commencement ceremonies are held twice a year in May and December. Students who meet the graduation requirements in August are invited to participate in either the May or December commencement. Graduation regalia are purchased directly from the College Bookstore.

A student may receive only one degree in a given semester. For example, a student may not receive an associate degree and a baccalaureate degree in the same semester. In addition, a student may receive one associate degree and one baccalaureate degree in that order from York College. (See Programs of Study  section.)

To earn a degree awarded in May, a student may complete the final degree requirement by enrolling in the mini-mester session for no more than one academic course and/or physical education course for a maximum of four credits. Students completing graduation requirements during any other summer sessions will receive their diploma in late August and are invited to participate in the May or December commencement ceremonies. Students graduating in May, August, or December are considered graduates of that calendar year.

Late application for graduation will result in an additional fee and a significant delay in the receipt of the diploma. It is imperative that application for a degree be made by the deadline published each semester.

Awarding of a Second Degree

A student awarded an associate or baccalaureate degree from another accredited college may pursue courses at York College leading toward a second degree (either associate or baccalaureate) provided the following conditions are met:

  1. The candidate has applied for and been accepted for admission to York College.
  2. The candidate must meet the departmental requirements established for the major as published in the College Catalog. The Department Chair will review the student’s academic record and indicate the additional courses that will be necessary to complete the degree requirements.
  3. The candidate must complete a minimum of the last 30 semester hours of the major at York College.

Awarding of an Additional Major

A student awarded a baccalaureate degree from York College of Pennsylvania may not receive a second degree from the College, but may elect to pursue courses leading toward a second baccalaureate-level major provided the following conditions are met:

  1. The student must submit an additional application for admission to the Admissions Office and formally matriculate in the new major.
  2. The candidate must meet the departmental requirements listed in the College Catalog. The Department Chair will review the student’s records and indicate any additional courses that will be required to complete the student’s major requirements.
  3. The student must complete the Application for Additional Major available in the Records Office at the beginning of the semester in which the major will be completed. The additional major note will be posted on the transcript at the same time as degree notes are posted. An additional diploma WILL NOT be issued.
  4. Students who complete a second major in a discipline associated with a new degree designation may request that the degree designation for their program be revised to reflect the second major. Thus, a student whose original York College degree was a B.A. may request that their degree designation be changed to a B.S. upon completion of a second major in a discipline for which the B.S. degree is granted, or vice versa.

Graduation Honors

Students are eligible for graduation honors based upon their entire academic college record (which includes the previous academic records of transfer students). Transfer students may be eligible for graduation honors after a minimum of 60 credit hours of academic work are completed at York College. Graduation honors will be awarded on the basis of the cumulative GPA of all York College and all previously completed college work. Graduation honors recognized by York College are:

  1. Summa Cum Laude: 3.90 or above
  2. Magna Cum Laude: 3.70–3.89
  3. Cum Laude: 3.50–3.69

Because the fall and spring Commencement ceremonies occur before all of a student’s final semester grades have been tabulated, graduation honors published at Commencement will be based on the student’s cumulative GPA prior to their final semester of coursework. However, the graduation honors noted on the student’s official transcript will be based on the student’s final cumulative GPA.

Student Records

The College maintains the confidential academic records of each student in a centralized location in the Records Office. Academic advisors, counselors, administrators, and Department Chairs use the Records Office when assisting the students.

Students should consult the Records Office on matters relating to their academic progress and when requesting transcripts. Official transcripts are sent by request when the student has met all financial obligations at York College and has presented written consent to the Records Office. There is a $5 processing fee per official transcript. Matriculated students can print an unofficial transcript through YCPWeb.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They are:

The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access.

Students should submit to the Director of Records written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The Director of Records will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including security personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

Parental Notification on Student Records and College Matters

Parental rights of access to educational records depend on the student’s financial status, either dependent or independent. If the adult student is financially independent, parents have no right of access without the student’s consent. If, however, the student is a financial dependent, a parent/guardian’s request for educational records is honored by York College. It is the student’s responsibility to clarify and document his/her financial status and acknowledge acceptance of the College’s disclosure policy upon admission and to update such information via the Records Office.

Parents or legal guardians of financially dependent students will be notified by the Academic Affairs Office/College officials when their son or daughter has been issued warning grades at mid-term. Professors are not required to issue warning grades to students, and some do not. A copy of the final grades will be sent to the designated parent(s)/guardian(s) in addition to the report sent to the student.

Parents or legal guardians of financially dependent students will be notified by the Student Affairs Offices/College officials when their son or daughter has been responsible for a violation of the College’s student code of conduct. Students and parents are encouraged to discuss these disciplinary matters to assist in the attainment of behavioral improvement.

Directory information is distributed without prior consent of the student. Directory information is defined as a student’s name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, class year and degree, and awards received. However, students who do not wish such information to be released or made public may inform the Admissions Office, if a new student, or the Records Office, if a returning student, in writing by September 1 for the fall semester or January 15 for the spring semester.

Students have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by York College of Pennsylvania to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202-4605

Summer Semesters

Both undergraduate and graduate classes are offered during the summer sessions as follows:

Mini-mester – 3 weeks starting mid-May to early June
Summer I – 5 weeks in early June to early July
Summer II – 5 weeks in mid-July to mid-August
Special Session – 13 weeks starting in mid-May through mid-August

Summer session dates and deadlines can be found on the York College website. Students may enroll in up to four credits during the Mini-mester and up to a maximum of seven credits during Summer I or Summer II. Regular college services are available to summer students such as parking, library services, on-campus housing, advising and use of the Grumbacher Center facilities.

Brochures are provided for the summer sessions. They may be viewed online or may be requested by calling (717) 815-1273.